Application Deadline: Sunday April 25
WeMove Europe is an independent and values-based organisation that seeks to build people power to transform Europe in the name of our community, future generations and the planet. We are people from all walks of life, who call Europe our home – whether we were born in Europe or elsewhere.
Our job is to mobilise a community of almost a million people across Europe on issues that matter - including the climate emergency, migrant rights, workers rights, better governance, and more. We know this number of people also needs to grow and diversify further so we can represent a strong critical mass that can bring about change in Europe.
We work with staff in 10 countries who connect digitally every day and in person periodically.
About the role
Current European climate action and environmental legislation is failing us and the natural world upon which we rely. Our parliamentary democracy has reached its limits to find an answer to the question of how to mitigate climate change in policy and practice. We face interrelated crises of climate and democracy in Europe and the world. We need more creative solutions to deal with them together. One of them is Citizens’ Assemblies which start by focusing on the most urgent agenda of climate.
Right now, the Spanish government is planning to launch its own version of a citizens’ assembly for climate. It is essential that civil society gets involved to make sure that Spain becomes a model success story on Climate Citizens Assemblies for other countries, cities and the EU when it comes to organising the assemblies. We also want to see concrete results in terms of a shift in the public debate in Spain, greater knowledge about the climate assembly specifically and ultimately the adoption of the recommendations of the Assembly after it has happened.
That’s why WeMove Europe is hiring a campaigner who would be responsible for:
- Establishing country-wide alliance of NGO workers, grassroots groups activists, academicians, narrative specialists and other interested stakeholders;
- Coordinating plan, as well as the implementation of advocacy and campaigning work; management of regular coordination meetings, managing information flow across partners in Spain and Europe;
- Message testing;
- Story building around the assembly to raise awareness and interest;
- Coordinating media work to ensure coverage in mainstream and alternative media;
- Managing social media channels (primarily Facebook and Twitter).
You are a great candidate for this role if you:
- Are native in Spanish and fluent English;
- Are both an activist and an advocate: you can work with activists, social movements as well as diplomats and government Ministries;
- Have experience advocating for change at institutional level in Spain: you have approached regional or national governments about campaigns, you know how to diplomatically make policy makers care;
- Have experience with grassroots and community organizing (you have built grass roots connections; organized campaigns, etc);
- Are passionate to strengthen democracy and participation through citizen assemblies;
- Have project management skills: you can schedule timelines and priorities, understand phases of a project, distribute information to keep things moving forward;
- Have media and communication skills; from press releases to social media you have an understanding of how to inform the public about exciting projects;
- Have experience of working in an international organisation.
The following are considered a bonus:
- Your own network of activists and academicians,
- Knowledge of managing social media channels,
- Experience in message testing,
- Love for storytelling and narrative,
- A good understanding of the power of citizen assemblies; there have been a few citizen assemblies, you can say what makes a good one.
Terms and conditions
- 1 year contract with possibility of renewal (if we get funding renewed)
- Full time position (40hrs/week, over 5 days a week, with core hours between 10-16 CET)
- We offer a competitive salary within the sector. Salary range, based on experience level: €31,000 - €37,000 gross year salary
- Vacation days equivalent to 30 days, plus bank holidays
- We work remotely, which means the position can be based at a home office or co-working space of your choice.
- Location: anywhere in Spain
We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace which is why people from communities that experience discrimination on the basis of race and ethnicity; women; people with disabilities; and LGBTQ+ people are especially encouraged to apply.
We do not share the implicit belief that people in online campaigning organisations necessarily have to be very young and encourage people who left their twenties and thirties behind to apply, including those caring for small children.
How to apply
If you are interested in this position, please submit an application by Sunday April 25
- Motivation letter in Spanish, of not more than one page! Please include the mention of your experience as an activist (voluntary and/or professional)
- 1-3 references (contact details)
- CV in English, including any other language skills according to a scale from A1 to C2.
Applications without cover letter will not be accepted!
We will ask a shortlisted group of applicants for availability to do a 1 – 2 h online task in the week of 26 April at a time that suits the candidates.Those who complete the task successfully will be invited to a video interview at the end of the week of 3 May or the following week.